On the Kolonos Agoraios hill, the Temple of Hephaestus (or Hephaistos) overlooks the ancient Agora of Athens. Of Doric order with classical architecture, this temple was dedicated to Hephaestus and Athena Ergane. It was the first marble temple to be built in Athens and has a limestone base. Construction began around 460-450 BCE and was completed by 415 BCE.
Always a place of worship, it is thought that in the 7th-century AD, the temple was converted into a Christian church. Dedicated to St. George Akamates, this Greek Orthodox church remained in service until 1834 AD. Then it became a museum until 1934 when it was reverted to the status of ancient monument allowing extensive archeological research. This monument is one of the best preserved ancient temples remaining largely as originally built.